Updated October 19, 2022
Nominus.com has defined and established policies for information privacy that represent a clear commitment to the confidentiality needs of our clients. These policies are applied to the collection as well as to the delivery of any type of personal information. Accordingly, the personal information of our clients is maintained in secure locations, to which only the personnel of Nominus.com or its duly-accredited representatives have access. Should any personal information be required to be disclosed pursuant to governmental authority per an official notice or action, such personal information shall be disclosed to such authority, but such disclosure shall be limited to that portion necessary and sufficient to comply with the requirements thereof.
The type of personal data we collect and how it is processed depends on the services requested.
- Who are we?
We are Nominus.com, a Domain Name Registrar and a Brand Name Protection service provider. Our address is 1915 Brickell Ave, 1112C, Miami, FL 33129, United States of America. You can contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at +1 (775) 242-8399.
We are not required to have a data protection officer, so any enquiries about our use of your personal data should be addressed to the contact details above.
- When do we collect your information; what do we collect; and how do we use it?
- When you use our website
When you use our website to browse our products, services, and other information we make available, a number of cookies are used by us and by third parties to allow the website to function, to collect useful information about visitors, and to help to make your user experience better.
We may also collect your IP address so that we can personalize the website and our services for you.
- When you request assistance
When you request assistance we may ask you for your name, email address, and other contact information.
We use this information to respond to your query, including providing you with any requested information about our products and services. We may also contact you several times after your enquiry in order to follow up on your interest and ensure that we have answered any enquiries to your satisfaction. We will do this based on our legitimate interest in providing accurate information prior to a sale.
Every time you contact us via e-mail we open a support ticket through Zendesk which is the entity providing our help desk software. Zendesk does not have access to the contents of any communications. Communications data is stored on their platform in the United States. Zendesk fully complies with the EU Directive with respect to all Personal Data (as that term is defined in said EU Directive).
If you are provided support via chat, we may use your contact information to send you a transcription of the conversation. The transcription will be sent only if you request it. We will not share, sell, rent or trade your name or email with third parties for their promotional purposes.
We do not use the information you provide to make any automated decisions that might affect you.
In certain situations, Nominus.com may disclose personal data in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
We may also disclose your personal information as required by law, such as to comply with a subpoena or other legal process, when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud, or respond to a government request.
- When you contact us through Social Media or use Social Media widgets
- When you create an account with us and purchase any of our services
When you sign up for an account with Nominus.com you will provide us with your name, email, address, and contact telephone number. We will send you an email to verifying said information.
When you purchase any of our online services, we may ask you for your name, address, contact telephone number, email address and credit card information. We also record your IP (Internet Protocol) address, which is the address of your computer on the Internet.
We will use your information to verify your credit card details for your purchase and process your order and services. We will also send you a receipt via email and we may use your telephone number to contact you regarding your purchase.
Your information is stored on our servers, which are based in the United States and Canada. Your credit card details are passed to a third-party payment processor which is based in the United States. We do not retain your credit card information. Our third-party payment processor complies with the General Data Protection Regulations of the EU and UK and is prohibited from using your personal information for any other purpose.
We do not use the information you provide to make any automated decisions that might affect you.
If you would like to request that your personal information be removed from our database, please contact us at email@example.com.
- Domain Name Services
Domain name registration services may require additional data, particularly for creating the contact profiles. Required additional data includes, but is not limited to registrant, admin, technical and billing information. Domain name registration contact profile information will be sent to the corresponding registry. Generic Domain names are regulated by ICANN which require us to send a copy of the contact profiles to Iron Mountain escrow service in the United States.
Without in any way limiting the foregoing, the following data may be required for domain name services:
- Last and first name
- Official Government Issued ID
- Card number
In general registries will keep the above information for no more than two years after the deletion of the domain name.
Your personal data will be stored in the country of the Registry that owns the extension. If you requested a ccTLD extension outside the European Union, your personal data may become public through a whois server by virtue of local law.
- Trademark Registration Related Services
For trademark registration related services, in addition to personal data, we may need additional data per the specific requirements of each country. Such information may include ID numbers, copies of government issued identification, and marital status information. If the trademark owner is a company, certain information about the entity (including but not limited to, name, object, business activity, capital, company formation date, duration, copy of the certificate of incorporation, number of shareholders/members, and number of directors if needed), and additional personal information about the shareholders/members and of the directors may also be required.
The information provided to trademark registration agents is necessary to comply with the requirements of government authorities and ruling organizations, and is provided to third parties per your explicit instructions with respect to the registration services.
Once a trademark registration request or document containing personal data is filed with the trademark office in any country, it will become public by virtue of law.
- Newsletter Preferences
If you would like to discontinue receiving newsletters or other communications from us, you may update your email preferences by using the “Unsubscribe” link found in emails we send to you or by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Links to Third Parties Sites
- When you submit a review about us
Nominus, may, at its sole discretion, publish, display, or otherwise make available reviews provided to said third-party review companies to third-parties, including but not limited to potential customers, such as by posting such reviews on Nominus’ website. Your name and the content of your review (but not your email address or IP address) may be publicly displayed or otherwise made available in connection therewith. Nominus will do this based on its legitimate interest in marketing its services.
We do not use the information you provide to make any automated decisions that might affect you. Your review and name may be displayed or otherwise made available in this manner for as long as we are marketing the product or services that the review refers to, after which it shall be securely deleted. You may ask Nominus to remove your review at any time.
- Age Restriction
The site is not intended for minors under the age of 18 nor does the site knowingly collect personal information from minors under 18. The site is not oriented toward minors, and does not target them as an audience. The website and services do not collect or distribute information indicating whether a user is a minor.
- Do you Have Questions About your Personal Data?
You can ask us what information we hold about you, and if inaccurate, you can ask us to correct it. We will respond to your request within a reasonable timeframe. We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services. Please contact us if you wish to cancel your account or request that we no longer use your information to provide you services. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements. If we have asked for your consent to process your personal data, you may withdraw that consent at any time provided that this data is not being used in any trademark or domain name registration.
Finally, in some circumstances you can ask us not to reach decisions affecting you using automated processing.
To submit a request regarding your personal data by email, post or telephone, please use the contact information provided above in the “Who We Are” section of this policy.
If you have a question or complaint about our use of your information, we would prefer you to contact us directly in the first instance so that we can address your question or complaint.
If you have an unresolved privacy or data use concern that we have not addressed satisfactorily, please contact our U.S.-based third party dispute resolution provider (free of charge) at https://feedback-form.truste.com/watchdog/request
- Security and Storage
Nominus shall use commercially reasonable measures in line with industry standards to protect your information, including but not limited to electronic and administrative safeguards designed to help make personal information secure, during both transmission and storage. We will make reasonable attempts to provide you with notice in the event of a security breach.
The information you provide Nominus may be collected through our services and processed in the United States or any other country in which Nominus, its subsidiaries, affiliates, and/or service providers maintain facilities.
In turn, Nominus uses commercially reasonable standards, measures and/or protocols to keep the information collected through the Service secure and as a result we take cautionary steps to verify your identify before granting you Service access. Moreover, Nominus cannot ensure the security of any information submitted or transmitted by you to Nominus nor can we guarantee that said information may not be disclosed, destroyed, and/or altered.
- Additional Disclosures: Europe and the UK
- EU Residents. To the extent that you are a user that resides in the EU or the UK, the terms of this Section 6 apply to the collection, storage, and use of your personal information. Under the General Data Protection Regulation of the EU and UK, or GDPR, EU and UK residents have certain rights regarding their data, including:
1. Right to access the personal information;
2. Right to correct incorrect personal information that Nominus has about you;
3. Right to prevent Nominus from using your personal information and/or objecting to processing;
4. Restricting use of your personal information for use for particular purposes;
5. Right to be forgotten (by requesting that Nominus delete all of the personal information it has about you); and
6. Right to not be subject to automated decision making.
- “Process”, “Processing”, or “Processed” means anything that is done with any of your Personal Information, whether or not by automated means, such as collection, recording, organization, structuring, storage, adaptation or alteration, retrieval, consultation, use, disclosure by transmission, dissemination or otherwise making available, alignment or combination, restriction, erasure or destruction. Nominus Processes your Personal Information rather than utilizing a third-party processor to do so on our behalf.
- “Controller” means the entity that decides how and why Personal Information is Processed. Accordingly, Nominus is the Controller of your Personal Information in that we decide how and why your Personal Information is Processed.
- “Sensitive Personal Data” means Personal Data about race or ethnicity, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, trade union membership, physical or mental health, sexual life, any actual or alleged criminal offences or penalties, national identification number (as applicable in the EU) or any other information that may be deemed to be sensitive under applicable law.
Grounds for Processing. The GDPR requires that companies processing the personal data of EU and UK users do so on the basis of specific legal grounds. As described below, Nominus processes the information of EU and UK users based on one or more of the following grounds as allowed under the GDPR:
1.The processing is necessary to provide the services and features you request.
Nominus must collect and use certain information in order to provide its services. This includes:
User profile information that is necessary to establish and maintain your account, including to verify your identity; enable communications with you about the services you order from us; and to enable you to make payments.
Usage information, which is necessary to maintain, optimize and enhance Nominus’ services.
2.The processing is necessary to protect the vital interests of our users or of others.
Nominus may process personal information, including disclosing data with law enforcement authorities in case of threats to the safety of users or of others.
3. The processing is necessary for Nominus’ legitimate interests.
Nominus collects and uses personal information to the extent necessary for its legitimate interests. This includes, but is not limited to, collecting and using information:
• To prevent, detect and combat fraud in connection with the use of our services.
• To inform law enforcement officials regarding criminal acts or threats to public safety.
• To provide customer support.
• To optimize our service and develop new services
• For direct marketing purposes. This includes, for example, analyzing data to identify trends and tailor marketing messages to user needs.
• To enforce Nominus’ Terms and Conditions or to protects its interests.
4.The processing is necessary for the legitimate interests of other persons or parties.
• Nominus collects and uses personal information to the extent necessary for the interests of other persons or the general public. This includes sharing information in connection with legal or insurance claims, to protect the rights and safety of others.
• Nominus may also process personal information when necessary in regard to a substantial public interest, on the basis of applicable laws.
5.The processing is necessary to fulfill Nominus’ legal obligations.
• Nominus is subject to legal requirements in the jurisdictions in which it operates that require us to collect, process, disclose, and retain your personal data. For example, Nominus is subject to laws and regulations in many cities and countries that require it to collect and retain information about the Nominus products, to retain such information for extended periods of time, and to provide copies of such information to governmental or other authorities. Nominus uses your information to comply with such laws to the extent they apply to your use of the Nominus services.
- Additional Disclosures: Australia
- Additional Disclosures: Canada
- Canadian Residents. This Section 8 applies only to Canadian residents. Nominus adheres to the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (“PIPEDA”). Canadian residents may request access to their personal information and Nominus will comply with such requests in accordance with PIPEDA. Note that, in certain circumstances, Nominus may not disclose your information to you. For example, Nominus may not disclose your information to you if other individuals are referenced therein or if there are legal, security, or proprietary information restrictions.
Nominus will make information available to you about its policies and practices with respect to the management of your personal information.
If there is a substantive or material change in the way that we use personal information, we will notify you by email (sent to the e-mail address specified in your account) or by means of a notice on this Site prior to the change becoming effective. We encourage you to periodically review this page for the latest information on our privacy practices.
United States: +1 (775) 242-8399
United Kingdom: +44 1255 444129
1915 Brickell Ave, 1112C
Miami, FL 33129
Effective Date: 01/15/2021
Last Updated: 10/19/2022